Get your GWCT Accredited Game Shot certificate – take our FREE test
Game management is so much more than rearing pheasants and organising shoot days. When done well, it can have a hugely beneficial impact on the countryside. It is in the interests of those who go shooting to help prevent poor performers overshadowing the great conservation work done by others. Equally, if a shoot is already a five-star operation, it should get the recognition it deserves.
We have developed the free GWCT Accredited Game Shot test to give Guns confidence:
- Asking appropriate questions of their own shoots or the ones they visit or buy days from.
- Appreciating the ways in which a gamekeeper is a working conservationist.
- Engaging in controversial issues affecting shooting (e.g. lead shot and the use of medication in game rearing)
- Explaining the ways legislation and regulation covers shoot management.
It is vital that a balanced case is made for gamebird management. Some notable, high profile opinions published recently have lacked this balance. As an evidence-based research organisation the GWCT would seek to put that right. With the correct knowledge, individual Guns can also help make than happen.
So how does it work?
This website and our book The Knowledge contain all the information you need to help you become a GWCT Accredited Game Shot via an online multiple-choice assessment, which typically takes less than 15 minutes to complete. The test is FREE to take.
Number of questions on each topic
- Lead ammunition – 2
- Gamebird releasing – 4
- Predation – 1
- Predation control – 1
- Habitat management – 6
- Supplementary feeding – 1
- Topical issues – 3
- Disease and medication – 1
- Species specific – 4
- Regulation and monitoring – 2
— Cara Richardson (@oneforthepot) October 18, 2018
How long does the certificate remain valid?
For four years. During this time, we are committed to:
- Sending you weekly updates on topical game management issues.
- Providing you with a duplicate certificate, if you should require one.
- Confirming to an enquiring shoot that you hold a valid certificate.
- Asking our promotional partners to send you information updates.
I’ve just completed the @Gameandwildlife Accredited Game Shot certification frankly the minimum a gun should learn before shooting. Get “The Knowledge Every Gun’s Guide to Conservation” as well. pic.twitter.com/T5L1SUw1Ga
— Max & Bentley’s Man (@oakman18) October 24, 2018
How much does it cost?
The test is FREE to take.
How important are the updates?
Essential, as an accredited game shot must be updated on evolving regulation, best practice and research findings. Your accreditation will be withdrawn if we lose touch. Those who begin taking the test will start receiving our updates.
What happens if I fail?
In the unlikely event that you fail the test, you can retake it a further four times. We will continue to send you regular updates containing essential best practice advice and research findings in order to help you develop your understanding.
Can a certificate be withdrawn?
Yes. The GWCT reserves the right to withdraw any accreditation. Examples include:
- An accredited Gun is proven to have breached the Code of Good Shooting Practice or other game-related regulations.
- We suspect the online assessment was conducted by someone else.
- There has been a malicious application.
Can I send in my feedback?
Yes. We apply rigorous quality control procedures and welcome your feedback. We will use this to review the production, moderation and revision of the accreditation. Our complaints procedure can be read here. You can contact us by any of the following:
- Write: GWCT, Burgate Manor, Fordingbridge, Hampshire SP6 1EF
- Call: 01425 652381
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
View this post on Instagram
My game shooting is of upmost importance to me and I take my sportsmanship very seriously. So I thought to complete my knowledge on Game and Conservation with a GWCT Game shot Award Exam which I scored 92% considering I’ve not done any keeping in easily 16 years I’m glad to say I’ve retained a great deal of my knowledge. @gamewildlifeconservationtrust #gwct #gameshooting #woodcock #gameandwildlifeconservationtrust #pheasant #britishwildlife #greypartridge #shootingseason #pheasantseason #partridgeseason