Become a GWCT Accredited Game Shot
Game management is so much more than rearing pheasants and organising shoot days. When done well, it can have a hugely beneficial impact on the countryside. It is in the interests of those who go shooting to help prevent poor performers overshadowing the great conservation work done by others. Equally, if a shoot is already a five-star operation, it should get the recognition it deserves.
We have developed the GWCT Accredited Game Shot test to give Guns confidence:
- Asking appropriate questions of their own shoots or the ones they visit or buy days from.
- Appreciating the ways in which a gamekeeper is a working conservationist.
- Engaging in controversial issues affecting shooting (e.g. lead shot and the use of medication in game rearing)
- Explaining the ways legislation and regulation covers shoot management.
It is vital that a balanced case is made for gamebird management. Some notable, high profile opinions published recently have lacked this balance. As an evidence-based research organisation the GWCT would seek to put that right. With the correct knowledge, individual Guns can also help make than happen.
So how does it work?
This website and our book The Knowledge contain all the information you need to help you become a GWCT Accredited Game Shot via an online multiple-choice assessment, which typically takes less than 20 minutes to complete.
Become a GWCT Premium Member for £96 and the cost of the test is included along with a free copy of the The Knowledge, £10m Public Liability Insurance and a host of other benefits.
- Choose from the three options below – all payments are processed securely by PayPal (which will open in a new browser window) and all payment cards are accepted – you do not need a PayPal account.
- After payment has been completed you will be redirected to the test.
- You must answer 20 out of 25 questions (80%) correctly within one hour.
- Should you not achieve this in your first attempt, you may retake it a further four times.
- On completion, your certificate will automatically be emailed to you and will remain valid for four years.
All payment cards accepted
Number of questions on each topic
- Lead ammunition – 2
- Gamebird releasing – 4
- Predation – 1
- Predation control – 1
- Habitat management – 6
- Supplementary feeding – 1
- Topical issues – 3
- Disease and medication – 1
- Species specific – 4
- Regulation and monitoring – 2
— Cara Richardson (@oneforthepot) October 18, 2018
How long does the certificate remain valid?
For four years. During this time, we are committed to:
- Sending you weekly updates on topical game management issues.
- Providing you with a duplicate certificate, if you should require one.
- Confirming to an enquiring shoot that you hold a valid certificate.
- Asking our promotional partners to send you information updates.
I’ve just completed the @Gameandwildlife Accredited Game Shot certification frankly the minimum a gun should learn before shooting. Get “The Knowledge Every Gun’s Guide to Conservation” as well. pic.twitter.com/T5L1SUw1Ga
— Max & Bentley’s Man (@oakman18) October 24, 2018
How much does it cost?
Become a GWCT Premium Member for £96 per year and the cost of the test is included, along with a free copy of the The Knowledge, £10m Public Liability Insurance and a host of other benefits.
How important are the updates?
Essential, as an accredited game shot must be updated on evolving regulation, best practice and research findings. Your accreditation will be withdrawn if we lose touch.
Can a certificate be withdrawn?
Yes. The GWCT reserves the right to withdraw any accreditation. Examples include:
- An accredited Gun is proven to have breached the Code of Good Shooting Practice or other game-related regulations.
- We suspect the online assessment was conducted by someone else.
- There has been a malicious application.
- If a person falsely claims to be a GWCT member in order to take the test without paying.
Can I send in my feedback?
Yes. We apply rigorous quality control procedures and welcome your feedback. We will use this to review the production, moderation and revision of the accreditation. Our complaints procedure can be read here. You can contact us by any of the following:
- Write: GWCT, Burgate Manor, Fordingbridge, Hampshire SP6 1EF
- Call: 01425 652381
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Take the test today – your options
All payment cards accepted
View this post on Instagram
My game shooting is of upmost importance to me and I take my sportsmanship very seriously. So I thought to complete my knowledge on Game and Conservation with a GWCT Game shot Award Exam which I scored 92% considering I’ve not done any keeping in easily 16 years I’m glad to say I’ve retained a great deal of my knowledge. @gamewildlifeconservationtrust #gwct #gameshooting #woodcock #gameandwildlifeconservationtrust #pheasant #britishwildlife #greypartridge #shootingseason #pheasantseason #partridgeseason