Earn your GWCT Shoot Operator’s Certificate – take our FREE test
Best practice in shoot management is key to demonstrating that shoots are run well and delivering environmental benefits. Take the free GWCT Shoot Operator’s Test to demonstrate that you are up to speed with best practice and the key issues in shoot management.
We have developed the GWCT Shoot Operator’s Test to:
- Help shoot operators understand the key aspects of running a shoot that can deliver significant wildlife conservation benefits.
- Enable shoot operators to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of The Code of Good Shooting Practice.
- Help shoot operators have the confidence to be able to explain to guns, beaters and wider society how their own shoot is looking after wildlife and habitats.
- Let shoot operators demonstrate a working knowledge of wildlife legislation and best practice predation control and game management guidelines.
So how does it work?
This website and our book The Knowledge contain all the information you need to help you complete the GWCT Shoot Operator’s Test, which is an online multiple-choice assessment that typically takes less than 20 minutes to complete. The test is FREE to take.
Here are some resources that contain important information for shoot operators:
- The Knowledge
- The Code of Good Shooting Practice
- GWCT Sustainable Releasing Guidelines
- Code of Practices for Snaring (England and Wales)
- General Licences (England and Wales)
How long does the certificate remain valid?
For four years. During this time, we are committed to:
- Sending you weekly updates on topical game management issues.
- Providing you with a duplicate certificate, if you should require one.
- Confirming to anyone enquiring that you hold a valid certificate.
- Asking our promotional partners to send you information updates.
How much does it cost?
The test is FREE to take.
How important are the updates?
Essential, you must be updated on evolving regulation, best practice and research findings. Your certificate will be withdrawn if we lose touch. Those who begin taking the test will start receiving our updates.
What happens if I fail?
In the unlikely event that you fail the test, you can retake it a further four times. We will continue to send you regular updates containing essential best practice advice and research findings in order to help you develop your understanding.
Can a certificate be withdrawn?
Yes. The GWCT reserves the right to withdraw any certificate. Examples include:
- An certificate holder is proven to have breached the Code of Good Shooting Practice or other game-related regulations.
- We suspect the online assessment was conducted by someone else.
- There has been a malicious application.
Can I send in my feedback?
Yes. We apply rigorous quality control procedures and welcome your feedback. We will use this to review the production, moderation and revision of the accreditation. Our complaints procedure can be read here. You can contact us by any of the following:
- Write: GWCT, Burgate Manor, Fordingbridge, Hampshire SP6 1EF
- Call: 01425 652381
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org