Earn your GWCT Shoot Operator’s Certificate
Best practice in shoot management is key to demonstrating that shoots are run well and delivering environmental benefits. Take the GWCT Shoot Operator’s Test to demonstrate that you are up to speed with best practice and the key issues in shoot management.
We have developed the GWCT Shoot Operator’s Test to:
- Help shoot operators understand the key aspects of running a shoot that can deliver significant wildlife conservation benefits.
- Enable shoot operators to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of The Code of Good Shooting Practice.
- Help shoot operators have the confidence to be able to explain to guns, beaters and wider society how their own shoot is looking after wildlife and habitats.
- Let shoot operators demonstrate a working knowledge of wildlife legislation and best practice predation control and game management guidelines.
So how does it work?
This website and our book The Knowledge contain all the information you need to help you complete the GWCT Shoot Operator’s Test, which is an online multiple-choice assessment that typically takes less than 20 minutes to complete.
Become a GWCT Premium Member for £99 and the cost of the test is included along with a free copy of the The Knowledge, £10m Public Liability Insurance and a host of other benefits.
- Choose from the three options below – all payments are processed securely by PayPal (which will open in a new browser window) and all payment cards are accepted – you do not need a PayPal account.
- After payment has been completed you will be redirected to the test.
- You must answer 20 out of 25 questions (80%) correctly within one hour.
- Should you not achieve this in your first attempt, you may retake it a further four times.
- On completion, your certificate will automatically be emailed to you and will remain valid for four years.
All payment cards accepted
Here are some resources that contain important information for shoot operators:
- The Knowledge
- The Code of Good Shooting Practice
- GWCT Sustainable Releasing Guidelines
- Code of Practices for Snaring (England and Wales)
- General Licences (England and Wales)
How long does the certificate remain valid?
For four years. During this time, we are committed to:
- Sending you weekly updates on topical game management issues.
- Providing you with a duplicate certificate, if you should require one.
- Confirming to anyone enquiring that you hold a valid certificate.
- Asking our promotional partners to send you information updates.
How much does it cost?
Become a GWCT Premium Member for £99 per year and the cost of the test is included, along with a free copy of the The Knowledge, £10m Public Liability Insurance and a host of other benefits.
How important are the updates?
Essential, you must be updated on evolving regulation, best practice and research findings. Your certificate will be withdrawn if we lose touch.
Can a certificate be withdrawn?
Yes. The GWCT reserves the right to withdraw any certificate. Examples include:
- An certificate holder is proven to have breached the Code of Good Shooting Practice or other game-related regulations.
- We suspect the online assessment was conducted by someone else.
- There has been a malicious application.
- If a person falsely claims to be a GWCT member in order to take the test without paying.
Can I send in my feedback?
Yes. We apply rigorous quality control procedures and welcome your feedback. We will use this to review the production, moderation and revision of the accreditation. Our complaints procedure can be read here. You can contact us by any of the following:
- Write: GWCT, Burgate Manor, Fordingbridge, Hampshire SP6 1EF
- Call: 01425 652381
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Take the test today – your options
All payment cards accepted